The Hattiesburg Area Historical Society (H A H S ) was organized in 1970 to fill a void in the preservation of local history and heritage. The society was incorporated in 1971 as the first historical society in the area and the second formed in the state of Mississippi.
- To bring together people interested in regional history;
- To promote better understanding of our American heritage and democratic way of life;
- To discover, collect, and preserve any material which can help establish or illustrate the history of Hattiesburg, Forrest County, and the surrounding area;
- To disseminate and arouse interest in historical information;
- To cooperate with other state historical societies and the state Department of Archives and History to make H A H S materials available to the public.
The H A H S Museum is staffed by volunteers. The museum collection consists of materials donated by members and friends. Donations related to the area's history and development are always welcome.
Paula Harvey- President
Ursula Jones- Vice President
Barbara Curry- Treasurer
Jeanne Herring- Secretary/Archives Clerk
Tom Phillips- Historian/Parliamentarian
Board of Directors